Are you considering starting Wegovy to help with weight loss, but unsure if your insurance will cover it? We’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll dive into the question of what insurance covers Wegovy and explore some frequently asked questions about the process.
Obesity is a growing concern in the United States, and many people struggle with finding effective weight loss solutions.
Wegovy is a prescription medication that has shown promise in helping people lose weight.
However, the cost of this medication can be a barrier for some, which is why it’s important to understand what insurance covers Wegovy.
What Is Wegovy?
Before we get into the specifics of insurance coverage, let’s briefly discuss what Wegovy is and how it works.
Wegovy is a brand-name medication that contains semaglutide, a synthetic version of a hormone that helps regulate blood sugar.
The medication is given as a subcutaneous injection once a week and has been shown to help people lose weight.
What Insurance Covers Wegovy?
The answer to the question of what insurance covers Wegovy is not a straightforward one.
Insurance coverage varies depending on the individual insurance plan and the pharmacy where the medication is purchased.
Some insurance plans may cover the medication entirely, while others may require a copay or deductible.
It’s important to check with your insurance provider to see if Wegovy is covered under your plan.
You can also ask your doctor’s office or the pharmacy where you plan to purchase the medication for assistance with checking coverage.
How Much Does Wegovy Cost?
The cost of Wegovy can vary depending on the pharmacy and insurance coverage.
The average cost of a four-week supply of the medication is around $1,300 without insurance.
However, with insurance coverage, the cost can be significantly lower.
Which Insurance Companies Cover Wegovy?
As mentioned earlier, insurance coverage for Wegovy varies depending on the individual insurance plan.
However, some insurance companies that have covered Wegovy in the past include:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
Again, it’s important to check with your specific insurance provider to see if Wegovy is covered under your plan.
What If My Insurance Doesn’t Cover Wegovy?
If your insurance doesn’t cover Wegovy or the cost is too high even with coverage, there are some options to explore. Some manufacturers offer patient assistance programs that can help with the cost of the medication. Additionally, some pharmacies may offer discounts or coupons that can reduce the cost.
FAQs About Insurance Coverage for Wegovy
- Will Medicare cover Wegovy?Yes, Medicare covers Wegovy under certain conditions.
- Does Medicaid cover Wegovy?Medicaid coverage for Wegovy varies by state. You’ll need to check with your state’s Medicaid program to see if it’s covered.
- Can I use GoodRx for Wegovy?GoodRx can offer discounts on Wegovy, but the amount of the discount will depend on the pharmacy and insurance coverage.
- Does Wegovy have a generic version?No, Wegovy does not have a generic version available at this time.
- Is Wegovy covered by all insurance plans?No, insurance coverage for Wegovy varies by plan. It’s important to check with your insurance provider to see if it’s covered under your plan.
- How much does Wegovy cost without insurance?The cost of Wegovy without insurance is around $1,300 for a four-week supply.